Written in 1984 by ABBA songwriters Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus, with lyrics by Tim Rice, Chess in Concert brings all the intrigue, drama and romance of the musical together in concert with the Christchurch Symphony Orchestra.
Chess tells the story of two chess grandmasters, one American and one Russian, who are in danger of becoming the political pawns of their governments during the Cold War. They battle for the world chess title and the attention of the same woman.
Stunning soloists and a chorus will perform international hit singles 'I Know Him So Well', 'One Night in Bangkok', the epic ballad 'Anthem' and more for a one weekend season only.
The season of Chess in Concert produced by Showbiz Christchurch will play at the Isaac Theatre Royal from Friday 19 to Sunday 21 June 2020. There are currently three concerts on sale, with the potential to add a fourth performance at 2 pm on Saturday 20 June 2020.
Please note: Showbiz Christchurch is a not for profit society established for community participation and enjoyment of musicals, and involvement in a production is on a voluntary basis.
- Music by Benny Andersson & Bjorn Ulvaeus
- Book & Lyrics by Tim Rice
- Produced by Showbiz Christchurch
- Directed by Jeremy Hinman
- Musical Direction by Ravil Atlas
- 19-21 June 2019 at the Isaac Theatre Royal
- Performance duration: approx. 1 hr 55 minutes including 20 minute interval
- There are currently three performances on sale with the potential to add a fourth performance at 2 pm Saturday 20 June 2019.
Auditions are for 7 principal soloists, 12 ensemble singers, 16 chorus members and a small dance ensemble.
Soloist, Chorus & Ensemble Auditions:
- Friday 31 January 2020, 6:30pm - 9pm
- Saturday 1 February 2020, 10am - 4pm
Group Dance Auditions:
- Sunday 2 February 2020, 10am - 12noon
- Sunday 2 February 2020, from 1pm
All audition applications must be made online. Singers: audition appointments are required for all singers, these are booked at the end of the application process.
To apply you must:
- read the Audition Pack carefully first;
- to be age 16 or over by June 2020;
- have a recent digital headshot. It does not need to be professionally taken as it is for identification purposes only (jpeg, gif, png or pdf no larger than 1mb);
- have a one-page performance biography ( pdf, txt or doc file).