Matthew is a music director, composer and pianist whose music has been heard around New Zealand and the world. He holds a Bachelor of Music (Composition) and Bachelor of Laws with Honours from the University of Canterbury, with an Associate Diploma (Piano) from Trinity College London. Matthew currently lectures in music theory, composition and keyboard musicianship at the University of Canterbury School of Music and NASDA at Ara Institute.
His theatre credits as musical director include: Sister Act (Showbiz), The Events (Court Theatre), Ragtime and Working (NASDA) and The Last Five Years (Kindle Theatre). Work as deputy musical director and pianist includes: Hairspray, Mamma Mia!, Evita, Monty Python's Spamalot, The Phantom of the Opera and Buddy - The Buddy Holly Story (Showbiz Christchurch); and Chicago, Legally Blonde, Mary Poppins, The Mikado, The Early Early Late Show, Puss in Boots, Red Riding Hood and The Little Mermaid (The Court Theatre). Choral conducting experience includes conducting the Jubilate Singers, St Andrew’s College choirs, Canterbury Lawyers’ Choir and New Zealand Secondary Schools Choir (2017 intern).
As a composer, Matthew’s work has been performed and recorded in London, Prague, Malta, Miami and around New Zealand. Highlights include his composition Fractures, which premiered in Westminster Abbey, as well as having work performed around New Zealand by the NZ Trio and winning the Douglas Lilburn Trust Composition Award. In 2017 Matthew composed at the New York University Film Scoring Workshop with Mark Snow (X Files) and Michael Levine (Cold Case/Hunger Games) where his short film score was recorded by a Prague studio orchestra.
- 2012: Pianist - Buddy - The Buddy Holly Story
- 2015: Pianist - Monty Python's Spamalot
- 2015: Pianist - The Phantom of the Opera
- 2016: Assistant Musical Director & Pianist - Mamma Mia!
- 2016: Assistant Musical Director & Pianist - Hairspray
- 2016: Pianist - Evita
- 2017: Keyboard Programmer - Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
- 2017: Musical Director - Sister Act
- 2018: Assistant Musical Director - Wicked
- 2018: Keyboard - Les Misérables
- 2019: Associate Musical Director - We Will Rock You