Second Round Auditions: Ensemble Roles
Miss Saigon was conceived and brought to life by the creators of Les Misérables, Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Schonberg. Since its inception in 1989, Miss Saigon has won over 30 major theatre awards, been performed in 25 countries, and translated into 12 different languages. Awards include: three Tony Awards®, four Drama Desk Awards, and three Outer Critics Circle Awards. In 2009 Showbiz Christchurch staged the New Zealand premiere of this extraordinary musical, and in 2019 we see the return of the epic love story of our time.
- Director/Choreographer: Stephen Robertson
- Musical Director: Richard Marrett
- 27 Sept - 12 Oct 2019 at the Isaac Theatre Royal
Music rehearsals commence late June 2019, leading onto production rehearsals from 28th July.
All rehearsals prior to final production weeks and the actual season are weekday evenings and Saturday/Sundays.
An initial round of Miss Saigon auditions were held early May 2019, and the majority of the show has been cast.
A second round of auditions is being held to fill the remaining ensemble and principal positions, primarily for male performers of Asian and/or Pacific heritage.
- Tuesday 25 June, 6:30pm on wards
Please read all information carefully & complete all sections of the separate audition application form.
All roles in Miss Saigon (with the exception of Tam) are limited to performers aged 16 and above (must be 16 by 27 September 2019)
We are seeking a multi-cultural cast of diverse ethnicity and ages. The show is set during the Vietnam War and represents a mix of cultures and ethnicities from Asia, the Pacific and the U.S.A. This is a dynamic show, requiring highly committed singers, dancers and actors. As a through sung musical, it will require a core of experienced singers with strong vocal technique. Not all on-stage performers are expected to sing.
Please note there is strong language, adult themes and content dealing with war, prostitution and suicide.
Showbiz Christchurch is a not-for-profit society established for community participation and enjoyment of musicals, and involvement in a production is on a voluntary basis.
- Chris Scott: Stage age 20-30, Pop Tenor - VOCAL RANGE A2 to B4
- Kim: Stage age 17-20, Mezzo-Soprano/Belter - VOCAL RANGE E3 to E5
- The Engineer: stage age 25-50, High Baritone - VOCAL RANGE A2 to Aflat4
- John: stage age 20-30, Pop Tenor - VOCAL RANGE Gsharp2 to Bflat4
- Thuy: stage age 17-25, Pop Tenor - VOCAL RANGE C3 to Bflat4
- Ellen: stage age 20-30, Mezzo-Soprano/Belter - VOCAL RANGE Fsharp3 to G5
- Gigi: stage age 17-25, Mezzo-Soprano/Belter - VOCAL RANGE Aflat3 to Eflat5
- Mimi, Yvette & Yvonne: stage age 17-25, Any vocal range.
- Tam: stage age 3, Non-singing
There will be a mix of dancers, strong singers, and some character ensemble parts. Due to the adult themes of war and conflict, and scenes including Saigon strip clubs, an ability to work with mature dramatic material is required.
The ensemble will include the following roles/groups:
- Assistant Commissar, Captain Schultz, Club Owner, Officer, American G.I.'s and marines, Bar Girls, Embassy Workers, Conference Delegates (Men), Soldiers, Vietnamese Men, Vietnamese Women, Hustlers, Vendors, Tourists.
- Vocal Range for ensemble men: A2 to D5
- Vocal Range for ensemble women: Aflat3 to C6
Miss Saigon Audition Pack:
All auditions will be held at Showbiz Studios:
- 369 St Asaph Street, Christchurch.
- Please park on the street as there is limited off street parking.
If you are unable to attend an audition in person you may submit a video audition. Please make your audition application as normal and you will see instructions on how to submit a video audition during the application process.