We Will Rock You AUDITIONS
We Will Rock You - A musical with songs by QUEEN, script by BEN ELTON
Set in the year 2300, live music has been banned from the Planet Mall. Everyone wears the same clothes, thinks the same thoughts and goes about in a brain-dead ga-ga haze. A bunch of Bohemians are looking for the 'Rhapsody' in the rocky rubble of Tottenham Court Tube Station. With the help of Buddy, an ancient hippie librarian, who is researching secret history through old copies of NME (New Musical Express), two soul rebels, Galileo and Scaramouche, find Rock's Holy Grail, Brian May's guitar buried in the remains of Wembley Stadium.
Auditions will be held over the weekend of 13 and 14 October 2018.
Please read all information carefully and complete all sections of the separate audition application form.
- All roles in We Will Rock You (WWRY) are limited to performers aged 16 and above (must be 16 by April 2019).
- We are seeking cast members of diverse ethnicity, build and ages.
- This is a high energy, high octane show. Dancers of high level ability will be required, and singers with a strong theatre/rock sound. Whilst useful, it is not essential that all dancers also be strong singers.
- Auditions will be held over the weekend of 13 and 14 October 2018 at Showbiz Christchurch, 369 St Asaph Street. Please park on the street as there is limited off street parking.
- All auditionees are expected to complete both a movement and vocal audition.
- We do not expect all singers to be strong dancers, but we do need to understand how you move, and retain movement instruction.
- We do not expect all dancers to be skilled singers, and will be able to cast dancers who are not strong vocally– however, we also need to know where you are at, musically, to be able to place you within a full company, so a vocal audition is required.
Showbiz Christchurch is a not-for-profit society established for community participation and enjoyment of musicals, and involvement in a production is on a voluntary basis.
The groups called at the times listed below will be broken down to smaller numbers, based on total numbers signed up, for a short movement audition. Please be aware that these groups will start at staggered times in 20 minute blocks, so the start times below are only indicative. Please allow up to 75 minutes from the start time listed.
- Saturday 13 October:
- 10.30 - 11:45 am: Group Movement Call -Singer/Movers
- 11.45 am - 1 pm: Group Movement Call – Trained Dancers with a minimum of 3 years training in a technical discipline
If unsure as to which group to sign up for, please join the Singer/ Mover group. If a higher skill level is identified, you may be asked to stay for the Trained Dancer call.
Everyone wishing to be considered for the show must complete one of the two group movement calls.
- Saturday 13 October, 1.30 - 6 pm
- Vocal auditions will be in 5 minute slots
- Please prepare a short (approximately 2 minutes or less) own choice audition song in the genre of ‘70s or ‘80s Rock/Pop that shows your range and vocal ability.
- You may sing a song written by Queen if you wish to, but that is not essential.
- Please bring your own sheet music in the key you are performing, and we will provide an audition pianist. If you prefer you may bring a backing track (instrumental only – no vocal line), on a smart device that can plug into our sound system , i.e. Ipad/Smart Phone/Ipod etc.
- No a cappella (unaccompanied) auditions please.
- Sunday 14 October, 12 - 5 pm
- Recalls for all named Principal roles.
The Showbiz Christchurch season of We Will Rock You featuring the music of Queen will be the first New Zealand theatre company production of this contemporary rock musical. Since opening in London in 2002, this high octane musical has gone on to be the 10th longest running musical on the West End, been performed across the planet, and is now ready to rock Christchurch.
- Director: Stephen Robertson
- Musical Director: Richard Marrett
- Choreographer: Gemma Kearney
- Associate Musical Director: Matt Everingham
- 29 March - 13 April 2019
- Isaac Theatre Royal
All Audition Applications and Bookings are to be made online. No phone or email bookings are accepted.
Please read all the information on this page and if you still have any questions you may ring us on:
- Ph (03) 377 7954
- 9am - 3pm, Monday - Friday